Suing someone else for personal injury

Suing someone else for personal injury

If you have suffered an injury as the result of an accident, slip or fall, medical malpractice, or other event due to the negligence or intentional conduct of another, you may be able to file a personal injury claim against the responsible party or parties for damages. Damages or monetary compensation is awarded to an injured person for economic damages, such as medical and hospital bills and loss of wages, as well as non-economic damages such as pain and suffering.

When suing someone else for personal injury, you need to be able to prove that the party or parties responsible for your injuries acted negligently and that this negligence was the legal cause of your injuries.

In many personal injury cases, claims are settled directly from the defendant’s insurance company without having to go through a trial in court. Personal insurance policies usually cover lawsuits that result from the accident, bodily injury to the individual, and any property damage that occurs up to the policy term limits. The exception is liability resulting from an automobile accident which is typically covered by your automobile insurance.

In the case of family or friend

But, what if your injuries were the result of an accident that was caused by negligence on the part of a member of your family or a friend? Personal injury cases such as these can present a dilemma because, while you may feel badly about suing family or friends, you still deserve to be compensated for your injuries.

You can seek compensation directly from your family member’s or friend’s insurance company without putting him or her in financial or legal jeopardy. If you don’t take advantage of the insurance coverage that your family member or friend has for personal injury liability, then you’re foregoing compensation that can help you preserve your health and safeguard you, financially.

If you’ve been injured and a family member or friend is at fault, having the representation of an experienced personal injury attorney such as the Rapid City law firm of Greg Yates and Michael Shubeck can help you to deal with a sensitive situation so that you’re able to get the compensation that you deserve without damaging relationships with family members or friends.

Common scenario

Some common personal injury cases involving family or friends may include:

  • Slip and fall that occurs on the property of a friend of family member
  • Food poisoning caused by food served at a house party of a friend of family member
  • Dog bite by a friend or family member’s dog

If you’re struggling with the decision about whether you should sue a family member or friend for a personal injury accident that was caused by a dog bite, for example, call the offices of Rapid City dog bite attorneys, Greg Yates and Michael Shubeck. They can help to resolve most claims fairly quickly with an out-of-court settlement, providing you with the compensation that you deserve for medical bills and other damages without having the need to file suit against your friend or family member.