What to do when you get into a car accident in South Dakota
If you’ve been involved in an accident in South Dakota, the state has put into place specific requirements that you must follow. Failure to do so could result in having your driving privileges revoked, or your driver’s license could be suspended.
First and foremost, you should never leave the scene of an accident. You should provide any help that may be necessary immediately after an accident to other motorists, passengers, and/or pedestrians that may have been involved and/or injured. Do your best to provide any needed assistance to injured persons, but take care if you’re attempting to move an injured individual. Call 911 for medical assistance and to request an ambulance. If you’re injured, try not to move and wait for emergency personnel to arrive.
Put safety first by moving your vehicle, if possible, out of the way of traffic to a safe place. Turn on the vehicle’s hazard lights. Use additional safety features such as cones, flares, or warning triangles to alert other motorists about the accident. If you’re vehicle isn’t operational, make sure that you move yourself to safety.
Because car accidents can happen any place and at anytime, you should make a car accident checklist. Keep it in your car at all times along with you insurance card and registration.
Follow this checklist
At the scene of the accident:
- Stay the scene
- Check on all drivers, passengers, and pedestrians
- Call the police — in the state of South Dakota, it is mandatory that you report an accident to the local police if the accident resulted in any injuries or fatalities, if damage to property is $1000 + per person, or total property damage is $2000 or more; you will be required to provide proof of insurance
- Exchanging information — Name, address and contact details, driver license number,vehicle information and license plate number of the vehicles involved, auto insurance information for the motorists involved
- Talk to witnesses
- Take photographs
After the accident:
- Contact your insurance company
- Keep a comprehensive record of all of your medical treatment
- Get a property damage valuation
- Exercise caution when discussing your accident
In the aftermath of a car accident, you should be especially wary of accepting and/or signing any early settlement offers. Enlisting the services of an attorney specializing in personal injury law can help to ensure that you receive fair and adequate compensation.
If you were injured…
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in South Dakota and are wondering about your legal rights, you need to call the Rapid City Personal Injury Law Firm of Greg Yates and Michael Shubeck.
With more than 40 years of collective experience in personal injury litigation, Mr . Yates and Mr. Shubeck are very knowledgeable when it comes to the laws and statutes of South Dakota. Our firm has a proven track record for winning cases and earning fair and equitable settlements for our clients.
Contact our Rapid City law offices today to schedule your consultation.